Source of article The Litigation Consulting Report (A2L Consulting).
I’ve been in the litigation graphics consulting business for 30 years. In that time, I’ve witnessed technology transitions from printed trial boards to laser disks to PowerPoint and much more.
However, the most important transition I’ve seen involves a shift in belief. Top-tier trial lawyers who once viewed litigation graphics as optional now understand they are essential. Note that I say “understand” rather than “belief.” That’s because the need for high-quality and well-designed litigation graphics is rooted in science, not in a belief system. Study after study in the last 50 years authoritatively prove that litigation graphics are a requirement — not a luxury — for effective persuasion.
Even after 30 years and thousands of cases, I genuinely love trying to figure out how to make a complex or boring case interesting and understandable while using the latest in persuasion science to convince the factfinder(s) that our position is correct. I’m passionate about this work, and I enjoy writing about it.
Below are the fifteen articles that I think are a must-read for every trial lawyer (and the trial team members who support them) who is serious about persuading judges and juries. I’ve added a few bonus webinars and books after the list. Read these and the articles linked to from these articles, and you’ll be a near-expert in litigation graphics theory and visual persuasion.
- 12 Reasons Litigation Graphics are More Complicated Than You Think
- 16 PowerPoint Litigation Graphics You Won’t Believe Are PowerPoint
- 12 Ways to SUCCESSFULLY Combine Oral and Visual Presentations
- Could Surprise Be One of Your Best Visual Persuasion Tools?
- Don’t Use PowerPoint as a Crutch in Trial or Anywhere
- 13 Reasons Law Firm Litigation Graphics Departments Have Bad Luck
- 5 Demonstrative Evidence Tricks and Cheats to Watch Out For
- One Demonstrative Exhibit, One Concept
- 6 Studies That Support Litigation Graphics in Courtroom Presentations
- 12 Reasons Bullet Points Are Bad (in Trial Graphics or Anywhere)
- Why Reading Your Litigation PowerPoint Slides Hurts Jurors
- Litigation Graphics: It’s Not a Beauty Contest
- Why Trial Tech ≠ Litigation Graphics
- The 12 Worst PowerPoint Mistakes Litigators Make
- The 13 Biggest Reasons to Avoid Last-Minute Trial Preparation
- Watch: PowerPoint Litigation Graphics Webinar – Winning by Design™
- Download: Using & Creating Litigation Graphics to Persuade
- Watch: Patent Litigation Visual Persuasion Techniques
- Watch: Winning Your Case BEFORE Trial Using Persuasive Litigation Graphics
- Read: 10 Ways to Maximize Persuasive Courtroom Storytelling